No announcement yet.

Mystery Solve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep looking at those pictures. Now I want to dig through my old photos. My Dad built a boat of plywood from some plans he bought. My memory says it is the same design. Must have been 1954-57 because I was in the AF then and recall coming home on leave and we ran it with twin Merc outboard from Tacoma to Whidbey Island and slept aboard and salmon fished. Later he retired and took it to West Port and commercial trolled with it for a few years.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 6436
      Ah, do recall we tacked the canvas down tightly with copper tacks about 2-3 inches apart all the way around the edge and several rows maybe a foot or two apart. The paint and sand hid them and we stretched the canvas very tight. Ended up with a deck that still looked good several years later.
      I will have to look and see if it is tacked down.

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 6438
      Keep looking at those pictures. Now I want to dig through my old photos. My Dad built a boat of plywood from some plans he bought. My memory says it is the same design. Must have been 1954-57 because I was in the AF then and recall coming home on leave and we ran it with twin Merc outboard from Tacoma to Whidbey Island and slept aboard and salmon fished. Later he retired and took it to West Port and commercial trolled with it for a few years.
      do you happen to rember the Length? The reason I ask is because the wife and I want to take it up to port townsend.

Comment

I replaced the canvas covering the deck on my 18ft. Glen-L cabin cruiser. It was pretty easy. Apply cement over wood, cement is something like white glue. Lay canvas over wet glue and apply more glue to canvas soaking it in. Canvas shrinks nicely leaving a water proof non skid paintable suface. Cotton canvas can be found at Seattle Frabics. I used Laytex paint as finish on canvas.

Comment

I forgot the copper staples around edges. Hand operated stapler did fine. Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy E., post: 6440
            I replaced the canvas covering the deck on my 18ft. Glen-L cabin cruiser. It was pretty easy. Apply cement over wood, cement is something like white glue. Lay canvas over wet glue and apply more glue to canvas soaking it in. Canvas shrinks nicely leaving a water proof non skid paintable suface. Cotton canvas can be found at Seattle Frabics. I used Laytex paint as finish on canvas.
            Well that is good news, might have to stick with canvas

All the pictures so far are here http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/i...e/Free%20Boat/

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_C, post: 6439
              I will have to look and see if it is tacked down.

do you happen to rember the Length? The reason I ask is because the wife and I want to take it up to port townsend.
              Don't recall. It was in the 16-18 foot range, I'm quite sure.
              There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 6444
                Don't recall. It was in the 16-18 foot range, I'm quite sure.
                Well that sounds just like mine. I would love to see pictures

Comment

Tom, I just found this on that web link I posted in Floatsom/Jetsom.

http://www.theclassicboathouse.com/cruisalong59.html

Is this your boat? This one is listed as a 1959 Chris Craft CruiseAlong Kit boat.
                  Steve Kiesel
                  1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

WOW! I wish , mine is ALOT smaller , I know the registration says "based on" Chriss-Craft Plans(does not say which) and "Modified" so maybe it is it has similar lines.

Comment

Chris Kit Boat

What you have there is probably a modified 16' Sports Express model, which originally did not have the cabin, just a cuddy under the foredeck.

Great family project!

Have fun,

Dick

Comment

update...
                        Me a few tools .. and, no more helm! I am going to reconfigure it so it is a bit more "user" friendly

Go some motors also, 2 semi-runners and a parts one... oh and an awesome gas can.

Comment

Working...
                        X