Our new family member

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our new family member

Well after more than a couple of years of talking about, we finally added a new member to our family: A 1973 BellBoy 22' Hardtop Sedan. The boat has been in my family since it was purchased, not only was it the first boat I was ever on but also where I caught my first fish! My grandfather took great care of this boat and after he passed a few years back it became my mothers. As it turned out she was not able to give it the attention that it needed and passed it down to me.
    Amanda and I had been planning to get it all summer and with our work schedules we were finally able to make it happen. The boat was in Salt Lake City so we loaded up the truck and away we went. When we arrived we found the boat covered with an old canvas tarp which had seen better days. The boat had been unused and sitting for 11 years due to my grandfathers Alzheimer's. After pulling the old girl out of the barn, we began to dust off the layers of dirt to find the boat still in good condition. So after new tires, new tail lights, and a thorough check of the surge brakes, we once again were on the road. The boat towed beautifully and we finally got her home with no problems.
    We have been cleaning her with all of our available spare time. It was so dirty that even pressure washing could not get it completely clean. We have been scrubbing it by hand using Miracle sponges(which we should have bought stock in) and yesterday afternoon she was sparkling again. I know that grandpa would have been proud.
    Still many things to do to get ready to hit the water but soon she'll be ready for her first NWCBC event. This will provide us with the long desired ability to attend those Puget Sound events we've been missing. Here are a few pics of the day after we brought her home, dirt and all. And yes it came complete with the original "Harvest Gold/Burnt Orange" shag carpet!
    Attached Files

Suweeet! Nothing like having a boat that has been store inside expecially in a dry climate like Utah. Looking forward to seeing it in the water next summer.
    Jerry and Becky
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Nice Joe. Sure is in good condition. That I/O should be a nice change from the outboard also. Have fun with her.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Another great score for the "Bismeisters." You have a talent for finding things in barns. I want a ride when she gets wet.
        Mike and Judy.
        1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Shagadelic!

Joe and Amanda-

Looks like she's in really great condition...at least after your hours of scrubbing. Should be a great boat for exploring Puget Sound, giving you a lot more range in every respect.

Really nice when you keep a family member's boat alive, too.

- Marty
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Joe and Amanda, Now you have two boats that can be used for two difference ways of boating the Lakes and Puget Sound. I bet your grandfather is smiling ! Chuck
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Love the carpet! That's what covered all the floors in our first house. It left about two weeks before we moved in. We just could not live with all that color.
              Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
              Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Good score and Yes, she will take you places you have never been able to go. With a kicker to boot.
                Sweet
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Nice. So glad you were able to keep it in the family. San Juan islands here you come. I can vision salmon laying on the floor and fish scales on that beautiful shag carpet! Have fun.
                  Kent & Diane
                  '58 Westerner

Comment

Good for you. The bonus of having a classic like your BB is having one with such a connection to the family. That's what i have in my BellBoy from 1960.
                    Best, Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVuozwvLHFk

Comment

Cool boat!

Love the shag! Congrats on the new addition to the fleet!
                      Mark
                      Silverdale, WA.
                      1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Love Those Bellboys!

Nice score on the family heirloom. Good for you!

My dad has a 1969 21' Bellboy Express (same hull), and it is a great cruiser for both lakes and the Sound. I've driven it many times and it is one of my favorite boats.

His performs well with four to six people and a Mercruiser 165 pushing her. I can only imagine how much faster yours will be with that 235! So when is the next event where we'll get to see her on the water?

Doug G.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X