A Member Needs Your Help--Quickly!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Member Needs Your Help--Quickly!

Today's New Years Cruise was marred by the sinking of Tim Mattson's 17-foot Glasspar Seafair Sedan at the Ivar's dock. The boat went down when nobody was looking, while our group was having lunch inside the restaurant...so we don't know what caused what was obviously a sudden sinking...but the bottom line is that Tim is tonight facing a substantial bill from Vessel Assist and maybe other parties.

Some of us had an informal passing-of-the-hat at the scene, but as of 4 p.m. the Vessel Assist boat had been unable to raise the sunken Glasspar, and their billing clock was running. A diver arrived shortly after 6 p.m. and just before 7 p.m. the crew got the first air bag into the boat and inflated, bringing the bow back to the surface. Tim reported that they hoped to get a second air bag into the stern area and bring the hull level with the surface so that high-volume pumps could begin to float the boat.

When the boat rolled over, it was still tied to the Ivar's float by bow and stern lines, but it quickly became obvious that there was no way to roll it upright. (It was sobering to realize how unbelievably heavy one of our boats can become when submerged. Gordon Davies, with crew help from John Nelson, attempted to tow the sunken hull toward a nearby beach, but Gordon's big Merc was unable to budge the sunken boat; it just sat there on the bottom, as though firmly anchored in place. At that point the bow line was returned to Ivar's float, where it was secured to a dock cleat.)

This is an unusual situation in our club. As far as I can remember we've never had a boat sink, or had a member face what'll probably be a substantial bill for rescue services.

If you are able to help with any kind of donation to help cover Tim's Vessel Assist bill, please send your contribution to Tim Mattson at 1446 Southwest 152nd, Burien, WA 98166. If Tim is somehow able to pay the Vessel Assist bill on his own, he will return your donation...or at least a portion of it.

Thanks, in advance, for helping a fellow club member get through a disheartening and expensive situation.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Home Safe! W/ Boat too

Hey all,
    Thanx Marty and all for your moral support.
    Wasn`t a good way to show my boat off.......
    I`m beat and need to shower but am SO THANKFUL to have great people who offered whatever I needed,and more.
    I`ll fill in some details but all drain plugs were in,BUT the splashwell one should have been out.
    Bilge pumps were working well as we got it floating and were bailing away as they should.
    Boat sunk motor down in the muck ,any deeper and it would be gone.
    Took 3 air bags to get it up,then a 4`` Water cannon drained it in 5 minutes.
    Kicker survived,and even got the fishfinder/Gps back.
    But that is just stuff,even if it had gone away ,I know I still have a great group of fellow boaters and friends that are irreplaceable.
    Thanx again and let`s all learn from my folly.
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

OH NO! My stomach sank looking at your photos.

We have never met, but I recall reading your restoration posts.

Your insurance may cover your recovery bill, my policy has recovery coverage.

Good luck!
      Robert Augur

Comment

What friends are for...

While the sinking of Tim's "Miss Beehaven" Glasspar was tragic, I was proud to be part of a group that was/is so supportive of a member in a pinch. The New Years cruise was my first Northwest Classic Boat Club event, with (I hope) many to come. Ironically, I had cajoled Tim into letting me ride with him after deeming my patched together ride "not quite ready for prime time".

Since I had to leave late in the afternoon to attend a birthday party, I was happy to see that the scene at Ivar's was clear at 9:00pm. Knowing that Tim's issues were just starting, I ran home to check out the buzz on this site.

With the generosity of quality people like I met today, it is hoped that the Mattson clan will consider this a positive circumstance, and a good story one day.

You've got mail!

P.S. If you been lurking around, it's time to join a great club.

Greg Lamb

Comment

Tim,

Chuck posted this over on our GSG forum......and as Skagit 25 said, my heart sunk......

As bad as this is, it is one of those times that you see the reason you/we all hang out with these kinds of people, they are the BEST! When times seem dark, it is the light of the people that get us through it.

Hope Miss Beehaven is no worse for wear, and hope you are feeling better knowing she is safe at home with you.

Denise
          Golden State Glassics

Comment

We're very relieved to hear you were able to recover the boat and no one was hurt. Thankfully this happened next to a dock rather than out in open water! Kudo's to all of the club members who were there to lend a hand.

Once you've had a chance to assess all of the damage please post the details. I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to donate needed parts if they can.

Tim has always been gracious with his knowledge and advice on this forum. It's great to see everyone rallying together to help him out. Feels much more like a family than a club doesn't it?

Check your PM's Tim.
            Mark
            Silverdale, WA.
            1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Tim, I know you are one of the safest and conciencious boat guys I know so I guess this just shows how mother nature can just be competely rude at will. Seeing your boat sunk at dock side made me sick. I am sorry it happened and I hope you are o.k..
              Greg James

Comment

Many Thanx! Both Motors run!

Thanx you Guys and Gals,all the way to the Golden State.
                I just got done getting both motors running,Tohatsu kicker started on one pull,knew that was easy so it was first.
                The 70 hp with oil injection took some fiddling but ran great.
                I doused it all with Fluid Film spray lube in between Mildew control on the entire insides.Lysol Bathroom flavor works good for me.
                My Vessel assist friends asked me to come clean and re-organize their boat which I did this AM.
                Looks like NO BILL.
                My Diver couldn`t leave Fisheries Supply but had the 3 air bags on and the boat up in an hour,then the big pumps came out and a 5 `` stream of water was flowing the good way.The lake was lapping into the boat and seeing a diver in full gear INSIDE the cockpit was ,well a little bit amusing.
                Had to try and make light of it,people were very polite (and let me run back and forth like a head-less Chicken).
                We never should have untied the hull from the dock as they could have winched it up almost level if the 2 points we had were still short.
                Jay called it, "it will sink as soon as we let go".
                Should have listened but the shore was oh so close.
                My Auto-Bilge was pumping as it came up, bye the way! The 5`` pump barely kept up with the wind-driven waves.
                Bottom line was Bad parking,had the splashwell facing the waves,once full it wasn`t too long after I`m sure.
                Hope I don`t end up on You Tube ,but considering what could it could have cost us was beyond luck.EPA fines start expensive,usually added to the $495/HOUR Salvage rate......Boat Assist and the like cover towing and jumps,NOT full-scale Salvage.
                Thanx again all and as Ken Cook said "Now What did we learn today?"
                I learned I have a realy "extended Boat Family".
                Greg Lamb,you have a fishing trip coming this summer,thanx for lunch!
                Guess cruising the canal wasn`t the talk of the day.
                TimM
                unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                SeaRay 175BR
                Hi-Laker lapline
                14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thats Great New's

Alright Tim, Glad to hear there was no charge for the help and that both motors run good. I was thinking about the boat today and was hoping today was a better day for ya and it was..
                  Thats crazy a big boat like that had water get in, Mike
                  >>>Mike<<<

Comment

Someone asked the question, "What did we learn from this?" The answer is, we learned what a great group of friendships have formed in what we call a "club". We now know that it is far more than that...it is a bonding of friends that come together when there is a need, whatever that might be. It is a blessing that if nature had to intervene with our day, that it happened in a place where the damage could be repaired, and Tim was not out on the waters in the boat, which would have definitely been much worse. We're there for you, Tim, in thoughts and prayers.
                    Kent & Diane
                    '58 Westerner

Comment

Tim...

Wow...no bill from the Vessel Assist guys (!?)

It's a good thing that you know so many folks in the marine business--it sure paid off yesterday.

Big relief that you aren't facing a pile of bills....except for what it'll cost in time and materials to clean up Miss BeeHaven and get her back on (not in) the water.

Nice to hear that the motors are running, too. Good thing this didn't happen in saltwater...

Best,

Marty
                      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Vessel Assist for All.

Just for the asking, could we some how get a blanket Vessel Assist for Events Only ? Some sort of Blanket coverage for all the boats during an event.

My thinking is its doable as it should be even Less for the amount of time we are having boating events and are on the water with them.
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Tim, I'm sure glad things worked out for you, I was concerned when I heard what happened. I was thinking of why it sank and you said water over the splashwell? Can this area be redesigned and build differant so it would not happened to other boaters? for example 2 inch drains instead of 1 inch.
                          It appears that the transome and splashwell are the lowest to the water then anywhere else on the boat. This could be the weak link sort-of-speak. Please keep us posted on the progress of drying out the boat and bring her back to her wonderful condition.
                          1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                          1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                          1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Awesome! NO BILL!!! Unbelievable! And the motors are fine....what a day.

While good fortune wasn't watching as the boat went down, sure was in the after math bringing her back up eh?

Those days can be rough, but it is important to remember the lessons we learn. One more thing on everyone's check list while boating and confirmation we hang with GREAT people!

Glad to hear the good news.

Comment

Working...
                            X