boats in the blood...story of irony

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boats in the blood...story of irony

While sifting through pictures recovered from the fire damaged remnants of my Mother's long-time home, and speaking with many friends and family leading up to her Memorial this coming weekend. I have pieced together a background involving old boats that I had little to no previous knowledge of.

My known history of boats started with the love of hydroplanes dating back to 1973 when I was 7, man and machine plus ingenuity= cool looking and sounding machines. Financial reality kept me out of a real boat until my sister started dating a guy that was restoring his family's vintage 1956 Hollywood Runabout. I was 11, our carport was the base of operations, with many a weekend spent gathering chemical burns from stray varnish remover. Irony #1: This Sunday's obituary netted an e-mail from my sister's long-ago "boat rebuilding" boyfriend within 10 minutes of finding a photo of him and I working on his mahogany 15 footer. See pic. 1

At 13, I built my first sailboat from plans found in an old "Popular Science" magazine...actually I built 2, my junior high shop teacher said that he would let me work nights and weekends and get great deals on wood, bronze screws, wood and help pay for my virginal experience with two-part flotation foam as long as I built him a copy.(Irony #2: the metal shop class next door, was being taught by a dude that 10 years later ended up marrying my sister and is still my brother-in-law.)

Last week, I received a call from my father asking about my Mother's passing. Keep in mind that I have had little contact with him since I was 3...a broad ranging conversation ensued. At one point I mentioned my old boat disease, listing some of the collection, and discussing renovations in progress. He soon added that before I was born, our family owned a 1956 Sande Ace with 40hp Merc power that they would launch at Kenmore to waterski. In relating this call to my older sister, she remembered riding in the Sande that they had re-varnished and dubbed "Slough Runner". (Irony #3: Since the club is again having the Slough Run and we are preparing a Stiletto for it, I called him and asked for more memories of the Sande Ace named "Slough Runner". He laughed at the great times he had back in the day-Racing the Slough. Recounting one incident without delay-While towing a waterskiing buddy they drifted around the turn under a bridge, only to see that a tree had fallen across the slough blocking further progress...his split second decision found the trio 50' up the back lawn of a nice home, smack dab in the middle of a family BBQ. He laughs again, and in trademark deep voice fashion: states that the host walks up naturally, "would you like a beer".) See pic 2-not our Sande but one of similar color scheme from www.sandeace.com

I sorted the final group of partially burned photos today, An antique album containing photos of my grandfather "took the cake". I barely knew him but recall that he worked on ships, the grainy photos show him with icebergs in the foreground and a de-masted shipwreck that they arrived at this unholy place:aboard. Wish that I could hear his stories today...see pic 3

Is it possible that the love of vintage boats can be part of ones DNA?
    Attached Files

Great story Greg, thanks for sharing. Please accept my condolences for your loss. I'm glad you have these "new memories" to help you through it.
    After I lost my father, going through old photos and putting together a memory display of momentos from his war years as well as talking to my elder relatives about him, really helped.

Tim

Comment

Dna

Greg -

Yes, I think it's possible that we have rotten boats in our DNA, or at least as part of our inheritance from boat-crazed forefathers. I sure got a dose of it from my Dad, grandparents and other relatives on both sides of the family.

Wonderful story, Greg, and you haven't changed a bit!

Our thoughts are with you this week...

Best,

Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Yep, it`s experiences from both ourselves AND our past relatives that shape and form our perception of what matters.Sometimes the stuff right in front of us blends in until something happens to change what we are focused on.
        I had 4 family members pass away during the time we we having our 2 kids in the years before and right after 2000.

At first ,I quit my high -paying job in a toxic Welded Boat shop and leapt out to make my own name for myself......not knowing it would be a way to make a living while feeding a hobby and creating an extended family of sorts.
        Each time we lost a family member ,a new set of people from way back appeared seemingly from nowwhere.
        While the many boats I now work on have owners with varied income(ok ,some have little or none....),they all seem to have rich souls and quality friends.
        Losing a family member kinda makes you look at yourself ,don`t it?
        The word "yours" does have the word "You" built -in.
        Because you are part of yours!
        TimM
        PS I never really boated or owned a boat unit I was 16,then ran into many ,many people from our familie`s past who also were involved.I may have still joined this club eventually,but indirectly,a members passing sorta got me here.....now make some more "Lemonade" Greg.We are all with you.
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Greg, Very sorry to hear about your Mother. It was nice to meet you two Sat ago on Ivars dock. Best,Chuck & Sheila
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Good story Greg. It does run in our blood doesn't it...

Really sorry for your loss......
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Gifts from our ancestors

Sorry to hear of your loss, Greg, especially under those circumstances. Good to hear you spent some time talking to your dad. I laughed at the slough race incident.

My dad just celebrated his 97th birthday. Reminds me I need to go see the old duffer. I too got the boat gene from my dad. I'll try to move and post a photo from another computer of dad in his 14 foot Wecco Clipper out on Puget Sound in suit and tie.

He ran the boat in the 1938 Sammish slough race and came in second. The photo of dad was used in the 1996 Seattle Boat Show in the Boeing Credit Union's display. He took out the credit unions first boat loan ($250) Picture at the show was blown up to 4 X 6 feet. I have a pic of dad and me in front of that picture. That was the year I put Ida Rae's Skagit 20 in the show...

Great story Greg and thanks for sharing.

McSkagit
              Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Great responses guys, I guess we all have to deal with losing our parents-except for McSkagit, 97 years old!!! hope that you weren't banking on an inheritance.

I've always been a little jealous of those that had parents that had/did cool things. The early 60's Stiletto always piqued my interest when I was young, and wasn't sure why until now.

DNA, and an addiction to fiberglass dust.

Memorials seem to have been invented to keep us busy for a while to lessen the blow. I begged my Mom for years to get a reverse mortgage and live big in her final years, needless to say-she didn't. It has been cathartic to setup a foundation in her name. Endowing the future proceeds from the estate to perpetually fund scholarships for low-income, talented kids to get training in a creative field. Making "lemonade", right Mattson!?

These old boats haven't seemed that important lately, but look forward to getting after it again next week. Afterall, I now have a family legacy in "Running the Slough" to uphold Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X