New boater, old boat.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boater, old boat.

Hello! My name is Mike Wood. I sent in my dues last Monday. My son and I (A third grader) live in Seattle.

I'm the newest owner of an old Glastron V-156 made in Texas in 1968. It has blue and white gelcoat, Evinrude 85hp, 4.5 kicker. A guy in Burien got it as a gift five years ago and used it strictly for fishing, then moved up. It came with a fishfinder and rod holders all over the place.

I had the motors serviced by Mike the outboard guy. They are ok. Good galvanized trailer with bearing buddies and LED's.

Transom is in fair shape. The seats are ok. Deck a little soft in places. I installed a small Rule bilge pump in the well, and need to get the wiring fixed for running lights and VHF. I have a can horn, but would like to get an appropriate electric one, mainly for looks.

I think the boat is beautiful. The hull profile and the curved sections on the windscreen are particularly nice for what was a cheap, light, beginner's boat.

The open bow on the Sportster is an advantage for us. I got the boat so that we can do a little fishing, camping at Blake and other spots, and cold water snorkeling (Free diving, no tanks) in the sound. There are lots of good freediving spots that you need a boat to reach. The tri-hull looks good for beaching.

I work at three part time jobs and have little free time, but this summer I'm going down to three days a week for a couple of months (my idea of a vacation) and am looking forward to participating in club events.

By the way, although I am middle aged, I have never owned or operated a powerboat before.

Hi Mike. Welcome to the club. Always great to have new dues paying members (as well as those web members). Never to old to learn to operate a power boat. I'd suggest you might want to sign up for a Power Squadron boating course. Lots of good info there. Mistakes on the water can be costly. One of the things you have done right already is having the motors check out by someone who knows them. Keeping the bearings on the trailer in good shape is important and it sounds like you have a lot of weight on the transom so you want to know it is sound. Oh, and we all like pics of boats and motors, cruises and such.
    Jerry
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Advice is welcome, thanks Jerry. I'll take the next class.
      Here are some pictures.

Comment

Welcome Mike,
        Glad you DIDN`T take my advice and bought the boat with electric shift motor anyways......use it until that day it doesn`t go into nuetral and go from there.
        Hull looks ok in pics,hope to see it on the water when you and the boat are ready.
        Also try some "Gel Gloss" compound from McLendon`s...it may revive that faded Blu enough to live with.
        TimM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks Tim. Compression is 145-150 in cylinders 1-3, and 125 in 4. Should run for a while anyway.

When the important stuff is done, I was going to go over the hull sides and deck with 1000 grit wet, probably on a medium foam pad. Then maybe machine polish whatever I can't reach with some good old Imperial Hand Glaze on wool, and rub out the tight places by hand with cloth. I'll drink plenty of fluids. Who needs the gym?

Comment

This must be the stuff: A pink metal can of Gelgloss.

It isn't expensive, so on your recommendation I'll get some and try it out.

Comment

Mike and Tim. When I first got my boat the plex windshield was hardly usuable. Tried the Gel gloss as a quick fix and it worked so well I'm still using the original windshield. Great stuff.
              Kent & Diane
              '58 Westerner

Comment

Working...
              X