No announcement yet.

New to Group- Woodway WA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, you have some nice boats left in your fleet....and you have a marriage for 47+ years. You are my hero. Nice balance in life. Congratulations as well. By the way, which of the boats is your wife's favorite?

Kindest Regards,

Bob

Comment

The cheapest ! Just kidding. As long as it has a port-a-potty that is her favorite one. Sheila only goes out maybe four or five times a season.....if that. I had one that took three and a half to restore and in the five years we had it she went out only one time and then it broke down. Sold it last summer and it went back to CT. She seems to like Skagits in general i guess. Of all of the boats i have had, i seem to come back to the Skagit's as i like the styling.The 20' Skagit in the picture i got last summer from a club member ( Bruce Drake ) and did some work to it, but she has not been on that one yet. I have only had it out 2 times as of now as i just got done with it in March. One of my son's usually goes with me. The " Itchy " Skagit 17' one will be about a 2-3 year project or something like that....maybe. There are a few other of my boats in the club and it's nice to see them. Chuck
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Originally posted by rjparksjr, post: 16887
        Chuck,

Maybe we both should run though this year....your thoughts?

Kindest Regards,

Bob
        Bob, you really have nothing to worry about in the cut. Three years ago I ran my 15ft performer through the parade with 6 people on board and the splashwell under water half the time... During the parade the cut is almost always smooth cause we are the only boats running through single file and in only one direction... An to avoid the ocean like conditions afterward we tend to wait a little while after the finish to let the waters calm down...

I will be running my Chris Craft 17 this year but am trying to find a friend with a trailer hitch to tow and run the Performer. Figure I can post it on craigslist and say that it can be seen in the parade and hopefully that will work as good as putting the tacky for sale sign on the boat in the parade...

Anyhow, long winded way of saying, as the event coordinator we would really enjoy seeing you and your boat there on May 7th.
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Apparently I can't upload pictures from my Iphone. so here is the picture of my little Performer running the parade with 4 on board and two people on inflatables...
          Attached Files
          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

How many boats from this group show up to a run like this? I will run the Ace this next weekend and if all goes well- and it should go well- I will be there. Any one interested in a Lake Washington run next weekend as a chase boat? LOL. I carry a paddle.....

Kindest Regards,

Bob

Comment

Bob, How many boats? It depends sometimes on the weather , but we always seems to luck out on that at parade time. I'am guessing i would say about 12-25 ,again i 'am only guessing. Here are some pictures from the last 4 years. BTW when coming back thru the cut after the parade ,if you stay behind the police boat no problems with the big one's behind you as they will not pass that police boat. LOL Chuck
              Attached Files
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Hi Bob...Glad to see another woodie boater. I know your boats from the Sande Ace site. My Merc was a donor from Ed. We are on the Canal near Hoodsport, when not at home at Lake Tapps. Also have done the "big boat" thing in the SJ, Canadian Gulf, and desolation over the years. My mansfield double cockpit is on the Sande Ace site, and similar to the ace...same era.
                hope to meet you and your Ace, either at the ace event, or at a club event.
                Welcome...Steve
                Attached Files
                Steve Tweit

1954 Mansfield..double cockpit runabout
                1955 Mansfield 17' express
                1960 Rynell Jetabout
                2007 Bxxxxxxx "daily driver"

Comment

I love the Ace's and keep an eye on the site for updates. Your work is fantastic and I would love to see one of your boats at a club event.

The opening day event is an absolute blast and very addicting. My son and I have done it for the past four years either with the Classic Boat Club or the ACBS. If you have never done the parade, it should be on a bucket list. As far as size, your Ace is perfect. My Dad did the parade last year with us in a freshly restored 14' Tollycraft with a Frankenmerc preped motor. We normally make a full day out of the event and launch at Magnuson park (Sandpoint) and get through the cut by about 9:00. Then you are in the protected waters of Lake Union for the day with LOTS to look at and see. The house boats, marinas, and dock side eating are great not to mention the other parade boats and friends that are all lined up. Once you make it through the parade route, you can hang out with everyone in front of the UW Crewhouse, or just hang a left at the end of the log boom and head back to the launch.
                  Attached Files
                  BRIAN FRANCHINI
                  LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

I was thinking about launching at Magnuson Park, how busy is it at 9am and if we were to spend the whole morning in Lake Union, what restaruants are open?

Karl
                    17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
                    18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
                    19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
                    25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
                    14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
                    14' Stilleto

Comment

Magnuson park has not been busy the past 3-4 years. There are 4 (or 5) launch lanes and brand new docks. The launch is very shallow but paved quite a ways out. I have trouble with my lowered truck because the doors are in the water and the boat still will barely float off. If you do launch at Magnuson, you may want to go just a bit earlier because they close the cut for the crew races at 9:40 (I think) and if you are not through, you wont make it all day. The good news is, if you miss the cut off time, there is still plenty of time to load back up and drive over to Ballard and launch.

There are quite a few places to eat and use bathrooms around Lake Union and Portage Bay. From Ivars to Hooters and everything in between. We usually launch around 8:30-8:45 and make our way through the cut (it takes about 20-30 minutes to make it since the majority is "no wake" speed along the log boom and through the cut). Once through, we take a slow cruise around by Gasworks and check out all the marina's along the way before tying up at the Center for Wooden Boats at Southlake Union. This usually is a great time for an early lunch (Dukes, Hooters, Outback, Joey's, etc all close by)
                      BRIAN FRANCHINI
                      LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Tweit, post: 16956
                        Hi Bob...Glad to see another woodie boater. I know your boats from the Sande Ace site. My Merc was a donor from Ed. We are on the Canal near Hoodsport, when not at home at Lake Tapps. Also have done the "big boat" thing in the SJ, Canadian Gulf, and desolation over the years. My mansfield double cockpit is on the Sande Ace site, and similar to the ace...same era.
                        hope to meet you and your Ace, either at the ace event, or at a club event.
                        Welcome...Steve
                        I am looking forward to meeting you, and seeing your boat(s) as well. I really enjoyed seeing the video of your runabout on the Ace web site. Really cool boat you have there. Actually I love both of your wood boats. It is a sicknes I have....

Fast Eddie. One of the best guys around!

Barring 30 knot winds..... I will be taking my Ace out shortly. I will be at Opening Day. So much encouragement to attend...so I will. I have a really good racing paddle just in case....and a long tow line....LOL

Kindest Regards,

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by FINS, post: 16962
                          I love the Ace's and keep an eye on the site for updates. Your work is fantastic and I would love to see one of your boats at a club event.

The opening day event is an absolute blast and very addicting. My son and I have done it for the past four years either with the Classic Boat Club or the ACBS. If you have never done the parade, it should be on a bucket list. As far as size, your Ace is perfect. My Dad did the parade last year with us in a freshly restored 14' Tollycraft with a Frankenmerc preped motor. We normally make a full day out of the event and launch at Magnuson park (Sandpoint) and get through the cut by about 9:00. Then you are in the protected waters of Lake Union for the day with LOTS to look at and see. The house boats, marinas, and dock side eating are great not to mention the other parade boats and friends that are all lined up. Once you make it through the parade route, you can hang out with everyone in front of the UW Crewhouse, or just hang a left at the end of the log boom and head back to the launch.
                          Thanks for the warm welcome! You have an awesome boat! I do not recall ever seeing a Tolly like that. Talk about a great heritage....and it has a Frankenmerc (another great guy) Merc on it as well. Wow!

I take it you will be there this year?

One question. Does anyone use North Lake Union launch...or is it to busy and tough to park a truck and trailer at?

Kindest Regards,

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by FINS, post: 16962

Thanks for the warm welcome! You have an awesome boat. I do not recall ever seeing a Tolly like that. Talk about great heritage....and it has a Frankenmerc (another great guy) Merc on it as well. Wow!

One question. Does anyone use North Lake Union launch?

Kindest Regards,

Bob

Comment

[
                              Originally posted by Karl, post: 16964
                              I was thinking about launching at Magnuson Park, how busy is it at 9am and if we were to spend the whole morning in Lake Union, what restaruants are open?

Karl
                              Karl, which boat?

Kindest Regards,

Bob

Comment

I am planning on attending again this year with the ACBS group. I will be using my "other" Tolly since it is a little more comfortable for a full day event! Have never used the North Lake Union ramp, but most of the ramps in the area are pretty quite that morning. Parking may be a different story. Make sure if you tie up at the South Lake Union park to wander over to the Center for Wooden Boats and say hello. I always make 2 or 3 passes to see which cool boats have attended.
                                Attached Files
                                BRIAN FRANCHINI
                                LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Working...
                                X