Saying Hi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sark, post: 24468
    Rule # 1 for me is no inboard outboards, I like the simplicity of unbolting and swapping out outboards, and they just are my preference. I saw that though and it looks like a nice hull. No conversions for me either.

Anyone comment on the later glasspar Delmar Hulls like the 61-62. I like the ones with the open helms/console so you can see through, but I thought I read they didn't ride great.

I am also thinking about possibly doing a trade for this 17 foot larson on craiglsist. Any comments on these? Not a fan of the way the two tone looks on the cabin top, but other than that interesting design.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/3523744273.html
    Rule #1 for me is to stay away from Outboards I can't work and service myself. I have been taken to the cleaners Way too many times.

I like the Iron Duke engines with the OMC outdrive.
    4 bolts and drop off the old one, side on another one, check the oil and head out.
    Of course I have the Early Volvo Penta outdrive on my 59 Skagit that will not break either...
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 24476
      Sark, here's another Uniflite that showed up. 1963, 16ft.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/boa/3578673772.html
      Look at this trailer its setting on.
      Check out the bow block or Catcher.
      Looks like they are using a leaf spring and a guide system so if you happen to come in a little hot, no chance on not lining up.
      I like the concept as it also keeps the winch line tight.

I like the lower slung trailers as you don't have to back in so much to float your boat opcorn1:
      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Haha, yeah the outboard thing started before I did any work on my own boats. And I just don't like the big bell housing hole through the transom. What's the saying nothing is waterproof but a frog's bum?

Anyway I emailed the guy with the uniflite and got a pic of the interior. The Bulkheads are all crazed and cracked down low, but he says floor etc solid though. Cool boat, it just isn't worth 2 g to me. There is a 72 for sale in tri cities on craigslist for $800 but it has a giant motor on it. Looks more tempting than this one, trailer is in better shape etc.. I'm sure they both need lots of work! Anyone comment on the cockpit size and handling of these compared to A Catalina or a Skagit 17 express(my two other top choices now)

Comment

Your right. The one in Tri Cities looks like a much better deal for the money.

I don't have personal experience, but I think the Catalina would be a better riding hull in the chop than the Skagit. Have fun shopping, looks like you have lots of choices.
          Steve Kiesel
          1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

How does this go with Dennis Miller.
            This is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I own two Catalina's. Both need everything right down to the stringers, But, I have ridden in one.

The Dorset Catalina and Glaspar Seafair Sedan tend to slice though the water due to the hull design. They are also Newer boats for the most part.

When the Skagits started out in 1955, Bell Boys, Unifights all had a similar hull design. Due to the horse power back in those days, it was pretty hard to get these old girls up on plain with a 35hp engine.
            Now that we can get much larger engines, 4 stroke and so on, we found that the hull speeds were pretty limited to those slower speeds.
            Get these old girls up on plain and its like a barn door with a motor on the back.
            I also have 4 Skagits, one Bell Boy, and a Uniflite. If you keep the bow down, they don't ride too bad. Get them up on there butts and they will pourpus and become very unstable in my eyes.
            (I did my fast thing a LONG time ago, 394ci, blower, the works) Which I might add, took about a 6 pack to just get behind the wheel of the thing. Too many close calls of being air born..

So, my need for fast, well, don't really have one any longer
            My little 61 Uniflite does just fine with my little 55hp Bearcat engine on the back.
            I get her in the chop, she gets rough.

The Dorsett Catalina,(newer boat) she was designed in the Bay area for the chop. It was the same fellow that did the Stud Avonti.
            Attached Files
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I totally hear you on the barn door I've had 2 cdorys and an arima, which all were fairly flat in the stern and pounders when it gets nasty(good while trolling though). Definitly have to back off on throttle in those conditions to save the kidneys. Yeah seems like there are a few options popping up, but I am taking my time looking, and will jump fast on the right boat when I see it. I should be going to check out a Skagit 17 this weekend, I do really like the Catalina's style, but I haven't found one locally I could see in person. Larson's have an appeal to me as well, and some of the glasspars. Hoping to find something that just sings to me when I see it.

Comment

Checking out a Skagit 17 express tomorrow afternoon, We'll see!!

Saw the guy put the Larsen back up, so I guess he just didn't like my offer. Too bad , I do like the look of it, but $2,500 is steep.

I'm liquidating a bunch of stuff, to make room in my house and finance my next project(and a new kitesurfing kite). I have some antiques etc.. I ended up with that just don't fit my style of decor. If anyone is interested in that sort of thing and has a good stable of candidates for restoration. I'd be down to work partial trade,. Could make someone's wife very happy. Have Edison home phongraph complete, a starett transit, a couple really awesome art deco lamps with marble etc.. Also selling a 5 HP kicker etc.. I posted them up on CL, the $ will go towards my "boatin money" anyway.

Speaking of.... I called on a boat recently, and the guy's wife answered. She was surprised it was for sale, but you could hear the excitement in her voice as she put two and two together! I had to razz her a little bit.

Comment

Having had both an 18 foot Larson Sea Lion and a Skagit 17 Express, I'd say the Larson is a much better ride in chop and even rougher water. The Skagit is more the barn door ride with plenty of pounding and water blowing into the boat. Love the appearance of the Skagit and only slightly miss the Larson. Its plus was full canvas so I could go as hard as I wanted without getting a saltwater shower.
                  There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Sark, I have a Skagit 17 Express and I used to have problems with it not handling the chop real well until I got the floor foamed. That made a world of difference, I have no problems with going through 1 ft. chop at wat. As for porpusing. Skagits are a little bow light and they will porpus if the engine is not down all the way. Some guys will also put some weight in the bow to help with that but I haven't found that to be neccessary.
                    Greg James

Comment

So the Skagit is actually a 17 foot convertable, not an express cruiser, luckily I got some pics from seller just before I got in my car for a two hour drive each way. He kept saying it had a small cabin, but he sounds like a total novice with things nautical, it wasn't anything intentional(nice guy). Anyway not what I'm looking for. I am in contact with one other guy about a dorsett catalina also a good 3 hour drive from seattle but it's over the pass, so I need to wait for a good weekend in case it comes back with me, and I might try again with the Larson guy and see what happens...

I think the most attractive in terms of looks for me in this size range are the catalinas before 64,and also have a fondness for the Sea lions which seem really rare. But both of those also seem to need everything and with the barrelback I wonder how many you can actualy have on board in comfort. No more than 3? The Skagits seem roomier, but I might focus on something with a good ride, seems like alot of guys are saying the same thing about the barn door ride on those.

Comment

Sark, I ment to say wot or wide open throddle. About 30 mph.
                        Greg James

Comment

Sark,
                          We fished four from our Sea Lion in comfort. That boat is setting in my son's yard in Oregon. He never uses it but doubt if he'd sell it. I think it has great possibilities for someone who would restore it.
                          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Oh Lootas you're killing me

Well if he ever decides to part with it, I'd definitly be interested, as I'm sure others would be too. Cool boat!

Or can someone advise me how to get this home! Screwy1 Man these are cool, and would be just perfect for days trips out on lake washington with the fam! I really like this model, but never see them for sale.

http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/3479197722.html

Comment

That's a Seafair Phaeton. Same hull as my 59 Seafair. If your looking for a smooth ride, it doesn't get much better than the Seafair hull. I've always liked the Phaeton's as well, that sliding hardtop looks cool.

How do you get it home? Drive down to Reno, hookup it up and drag it home. I made a trip down to Walnut Creek Ca from Seattle to get my Seafair.
                              Attached Files
                              Steve Kiesel

Comment

Forgot to mention, there is another Glaspar called the Sunliner. It's the same hull as the Phaeton and Seafair Sedan. The Sunliner is exactly the same as the Phaeton without the hardtop. The Sunliner is easier to come by than the Phaeton.
                                Steve Kiesel

Comment

Working...
                                X