Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, my name is Richard, and I'm a fist time owner as of last year. I got my 1956 Burchcraft from my uncle in May of 2013. the boat had been sitting in his back yard for 23 years since my grandpa had passed. My grandpa bought the boat and trailer new from Busby's in Bremerton WA in 1956, however he bought the 5.5 Johnson in 1955. I became a member to try and find out more information about Burchcraft boats and to see if anyone else may have one.

Richard
    Attached Files
    Richard Hicks

Welcome to the group Richard. The boat looks pretty good for setting that long. Here is some info on the Fiberglassics website. Not much, but a place to start your research.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Burchcraft
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Thank you Steve it was in a shed for about 10-12 years then tarped over till i got it, the paint was peeling when I got it so I just flipped it over and sanded, removed all the old sealing and wood filler and replaced with new then primed and painted, and now she looks all new again. the motor was in his basement and in great condition he had all the fuel ran out before he stored it. so all in all it's a good boat.

Richard
      Richard Hicks

Comment

Nice job. How did you save the Burchcraft logo?
        Steve Kiesel
        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

That's a copy of the original I had made at a local decal shop then I just measured and stuck them on in the original place.
          Richard Hicks

Comment

Those were made here in Aberdeen. I recently had a great talk with a gentleman that worked for Burchcraft back in the 50s he told me that he and his girlfriend drove up to Bellingham for vacation and he went on a tour of the Bellboy plant and at that time he realize that he wasn't going to be having a job at Burchcraft much longer.
            17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
            18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
            19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
            25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
            14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
            14' Stilleto

Comment

Yep it still has the original placard that says Aberdeen WA, and its hull number it was given when built stamped in the transom. I sure would love to talk to someone who built them.
              Richard Hicks

Comment

Welcome and, Nice Save

Been busy moving things into storage and with the heat down here, slow going.
                Nice save like I said and Great info Karl !

Enjoy
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thank you everyone for the information. I hope to bring it to Mason lake on September 13th for that gathering so everyone can see it in person.

Richard
                  Richard Hicks

Comment

Great history of your grandfather's Burchcraft. Wonderful story and living memories. I look forward to meeting you soon.

Welcome aboard, Allan
                    1958 Dorsett Farallon
                    1959 Bellboy Ballerina

Comment

Originally posted by Karl, post: 28967, member: 54
                      Those were made here in Aberdeen. I recently had a great talk with a gentleman that worked for Burchcraft back in the 50s he told me that he and his girlfriend drove up to Bellingham for vacation and he went on a tour of the Bellboy plant and at that time he realize that he wasn't going to be having a job at Burchcraft much longer.
                      I think I might like to talk to him in person. Back at Henry Burch's birthday party in 2005, the family had a photo album full of 8 x 10 glossies of the factory interior. I wish I'd known that before I got there, as I would have brought along appropriate equipment to scan all the images. I only got a few with my camera.

I love the high tech lighting.

I'm not sure what year this was. I'm guessing the early 50's.

When I bought my first Burchcraft, the title said "Homemade", so I thought it was a homemade boat, naturally. When I finally got it on the water, someone said; "Hey! That's a Burchcraft!" I said; "What the hell is a Burchcraft"? He is from Montesano, and 20 years my senior, so he knew what a Burchcraft was.

In 2003, we made a road trip.

I can't believe he picked up the prototype. It had a little sign on it that said; "DON'T TOUCH!"

Built in 1938, by Loren Burch, Henry's dad.

ps. Don't ever get me started talking about these boats....... I'm getting to that age....

Comment

This is my 1956 Burchcraft
                        Attached Files
                        Richard Hicks

Comment

Originally posted by 1956 Burchcraft, post: 29666, member: 2437
                          This is my 1956 Burchcraft
                          That is pretty sweet.
                          You may have said what the motor was but I think I have 25 motor that the electric starter was pulled from. Tried to sell it as a Lower unit but most of it is there. Still looking to sell it.
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen
                          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by 1956 Burchcraft, post: 28961, member: 2437
                            Hello, my name is Richard, and I'm a fist time owner as of last year. I got my 1956 Burchcraft from my uncle in May of 2013. the boat had been sitting in his back yard for 23 years since my grandpa had passed. My grandpa bought the boat and trailer new from Busby's in Bremerton WA in 1956, however he bought the 5.5 Johnson in 1955. I became a member to try and find out more information about Burchcraft boats and to see if anyone else may have one.

Richard
                            I have 4. Do you have any specific questions? I could fill a book with what I know about these boats.

Comment

I'm interested in finding out how many are still around and interested in how many were made.
                              Richard Hicks

Comment

Working...
                              X