Greetings from Salt Lake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Salt Lake

Hello everyone, new member here and I’m glad I discovered this Group. I just bought my first boat and I’m sure I’ll have questions and concerns during my ownership. For myself my name is Schylar and I’m a part time artist, tinkerer, and builder and a full time truck driver for UPS. My experience with boats is limited, as a kid my brothers had ski boats and last summer I built a couple stitch and glue kayaks which got me interested in being on the water so I started searching for a motor boat. A classic was definitely necessary. I ended up buying a 1965 15-16’ Fiberform that I found in Idaho. The pictures I saw definitely made it look nicer than it really is and I’m sure I overpaid but I knew it would be fun to tinker with and get dolled up. Previous owners down the line either let young kids paint it or got liquored up themselves and grabbed some turquoise paint and a brush and went to town. Only after apparently sanding the boat (and some of the aluminum bright work) with a disk sander. I call it a beauty from a far but far from a beauty. I’ve had a local body shop match the color and I’ve been touching up the chipped areas which exposed a very 70’s metal flake paint that I’d really rather see. I’ve done a pretty good job touching up, wet sanding, and buffing the crappy paint job and while not perfect it’s at least more uniform. I’ve also worked the rub rail to a like new look with wet sanding and polish. There was a hole on the deck of the bow in front of the windshield and I had no clue what went there so I found a vintage spot light and cleaned it up and mounted it there. I think it looks natural there. I had to modify the mechanism that will pan and tilt the light so it can now be easily reached from just below the dash. The windshield cleaned up very nice as well and also has a very neat flip up vent at its lower center. Something else I have yet to see on others.
    To the boat questions: it seems that pre 70’s Fiberforms are hard to get info on and the few I’ve seen look slightly different than what I have. The title I have labels it as a Fiberform Fantasy but based on the info I’ve been able to find, Fantasy wasn’t even a model listed in the 60’s for Fiberform. Anyone out there with more info? The dash and steering wheel is what really drew me to this boat and looks different than the others I’ve seen. Are these items that people added or customized themselves? Thanks for any info or input and look forward to sharing this project.

Welcome. I don't know much about your boat model but it all looks period correct. I'll see what I can find...

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
      Welcome. I don't know much about your boat model but it all looks period correct. I'll see what I can find...
      WOW. I just now looked around and seen this. Sorry !!.
      I think the Latest Posts and Latest Activity needs to be tied together so I or others don't miss this.

Fiberform. Last dealer was in Spokane and as they told the story, Fiberform went out of business due to the cost to build a Safe boat. The fellow told me it would take 3 Bayliners to build One Fiberform.

I had a 1976 24ft Sedan, one without the flybridge (wind sail, had them) and was not able to come up with Anything on them.
      One fellow up in Camino island, Bill Roberts knew more about those fiberform boats than anyone else I was able to find.

Might try Fiberglassics as even they had little to no information other than what a few members were able to supply. Those are good solid seaworthy boats for sure !!!!

Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
      X