Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to boating and picked this up

Hello all.

My name is lee Gustafaon. I have picked up what I believe is a 1964 dorsett farallon 22ft. It has a inboard mercruiser 120. Needs total rebuild of motor and cabin. If you have any links for Manuel's or interior would be greatly appreciated

Nice Score Lee !! She looks compete including the aluminum staff.
    Not so sure she is a 1964 as that is the year they were changing the hull design into move of the V hull design. This one has the same bow on her as the early 60's and looks to be the Farallon with the I/O which are rare. Very common power with the mercruiser which parts are plentiful to find.
    That boat is one of the best riding boats built back in that day. That hull was designed for the San Francisco Bay area's choppy water so her ride is superior to most of the other boats built back in that day.
    The Only thing I didn't care about on those boats were the fact they used MDO Plywood stringers in them. I would be very interested in seeing the engine bed and how much glass they used around it.
    Also, were did they put fuel tanks on her ??
    One of our members (Allen and Sue) have a Green Farallon that we put a belly tank in for them and freshened up the cockpit area if I remember right.. I have worked on at least three of the Farallons but mostly the Catalina's. I should have some pictures to share once you start a thread in the restoration area to share with you..

Again, Nice Score Lee !!!
    Allensm.jpg Mason08.jpg
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

She has two tanks one on each side.right next to the steering wheel and behind the cabin. I have to replace the ribs. Do I cut right above the fiberglass and then replace?

Comment

Helmer can you get any info from the title? Trying to figure out some more haha oh also I found out their not called ribs but stingers....sorry about that haha

Comment

Originally posted by Lgustafson74 View Post
          She has two tanks one on each side.right next to the steering wheel and behind the cabin. I have to replace the ribs. Do I cut right above the fiberglass and then replace?
          You need to send me some pictures. Most of the time on these old girls, Stringers are forward and aft to the transom. Frames are port to starboard.
          Lets see some pictures before you cut anything as I might be able to save you a bunch of grief.
          Looking at the pictures the deepest part of that boat under the cockpit floor is just were you step down into the cabin. From the underside of the floor at that point was almost or was 18" down to teh keel.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Originally posted by Lgustafson74 View Post
            Helmer can you get any info from the title? Trying to figure out some more haha oh also I found out their not called ribs but stingers....sorry about that haha
            Not really. They did not always sell all the boats in a years time and would make some small changes and call it a newer year. Most of the time its when the boat was sold from the factory. I have seen titles Way off many of times.
            Best bet is to look at www.fiberglassics.com in the boat ID section and compare what you have to those flyers they have. About as close as your going to get.
            I do know they made a major hull design change in 1964 but early or late in 64 is a good question. They never through anything away
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I'm gonna take pics on the weekend of the 1st. The boat is being stored up north. My city doesn't allow boats or trailers in front yards haha

Comment

Working...
              X