New User/ 1957 Skagit Express Cruiser "Rosario"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User/ 1957 Skagit Express Cruiser "Rosario"

Hello everyone! I just bought Jerry McRorie's 1957 Skagit Express "Rosario" which languished in someone's backyard after they bought her from Jerry a few years ago. Here's what she looked like when Jerry owned her: https://boats-from-usa.com/skagit/sk...s-cruiser-3702.

Not looking so great nowadays, though - mostly cosmetic, but I'd love to hear from other Skagit owners regarding the things to watch out for when restoring her. I'm in Friday Harbor, so if there are any Skagit owners in San Juan County, would love to compare notes.

I'll post more when she's tidied up - at this point, she's too embarrassed for photos! But even with the prospect of hundreds of hours of restoration in front of me, I am excited to get her tidied up and back in the water.

Congratulations on the purchase, should be a great adventure! I'm also in Friday Harbor and planning to have a vintage cruiser, but just finishing up building a new house and shop and couldn't devote the attention that your boat (or any boat) needs until I get done building. If you need a hand with anything, give me a shout. Jeff Roddick (360)303-2761

Comment

Thanks, Jeff! I will definitely contact you - I've got *lots* of questions about restoration, for sure. Victoria

Comment

Rosairo was built by Chuck Carrey who passed away few years ago. One of our major players in the club. Then reluctantly sold it to another good friend and club member Jerry McRorie. Jerry had a new transom put in it while he had it.
        I think Rosairo was one of the boats he had owned the longest too. Here are a few pics I have.

Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thank you for the photos, Helmar!! Great to see her lookin' good.

Comment

That boat takes water over the bow. A full windshield and top might be in order for those windy afternoons in the San juans. Wraparound plastic, teak frame like the wooden boats had or if you can find a frame. The boat used to have a 55 or 56 ford seadan windshield cut in half. The tall one. Bruce will be at the la connor car show with his original 20 he will talk skagit with you.

Comment

Thank you so much, John! It does still have a little windshield, but only a short one. Will check in with Bruce at the show...

Comment

Working...
              X