Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim and Joe -

Thanks...

The Norseman came to Bruce with a single, unattractive seat, so I designed and built the new ones to suggest a 1950s-style pattern, but sized so that there would be enough pass-through space between the seats...and enough space alongside each one to store poles, fishing rods, paddles, etc.

There's also storage on the underside of each seat.

Joe, While working to finish my last customer boat, I'm also completing work on a 16-foot Poulsbo Boat, with cabin, that'll be a definite Keeper...since in retirement I won't be able to afford playing Musical Boats as aggressively as I have in the past. Right now, it appears that the three long-term keepers will include the Poulsbo Boat, our 16-foot double-ended sailboat designed and built by the late George Calkins, and a 1957 Glasspar Avalon. (The Glasspar might go if I find something more alluring, but the first two boats are staying here forever.)

I'll finish work on the Poulsbo Boat by early July and start beach camping with it right away.

- Marty

QUOTE=McSkagit Tim Jones;25178]Wow! Nice looking Norseman. My dad's best friend had what was probably the same model.

Are those seat backs original? Nice job Marty!

A lot of these 1950's boats were pretty utilitarian. I agree about not over-restoring them.

Looks great and hope to see it on the waterways.......

Tim[/QUOTE]
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 25217
      Tim and Joe -

Thanks...

The Norseman came to Bruce with a single, unattractive seat, so I designed and built the new ones to suggest a 1950s-style pattern, but sized so that there would be enough pass-through space between the seats...and enough space alongside each one to store poles, fishing rods, paddles, etc.

There's also storage on the underside of each seat.

Joe, While working to finish my last customer boat, I'm also completing work on a 16-foot Poulsbo Boat, with cabin, that'll be a definite Keeper...since in retirement I won't be able to afford playing Musical Boats as aggressively as I have in the past. Right now, it appears that the three long-term keepers will include the Poulsbo Boat, our 16-foot double-ended sailboat designed and built by the late George Calkins, and a 1957 Glasspar Avalon. (The Glasspar might go if I find something more alluring, but the first two boats are staying here forever.)

I'll finish work on the Poulsbo Boat by early July and start beach camping with it right away.

- Marty

QUOTE=McSkagit Tim Jones;25178]Wow! Nice looking Norseman. My dad's best friend had what was probably the same model.

Are those seat backs original? Nice job Marty!

A lot of these 1950's boats were pretty utilitarian. I agree about not over-restoring them.

Looks great and hope to see it on the waterways.......

Tim
      [/QUOTE]
      Tim -

No, the seats are all-new, designed to hopefully reflect a vintage look, but different from the plywood seats Norseman built. (Factory seats were not stand-alone designs--they tied into the sides of the boat and didn't have much shape. I liked having some camber across the top of the seat backs...but bending the mahogany cap pieces was a slight challenge, requiring construction of a special clamping form and lamination of two layers of Sapele mahogany.

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
      X