Fate of Economy 4 Cycle Marine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fate of Economy 4 Cycle Marine

Jumped on the web and noticed the Economy 4 Cycle Marine website was missing. Looks like Ed finally called it quits and his business was bought out, now Zemp 4 Cyle Marine in a nearby location. End of an era, but hopefully Zemp will continue the support and service of the Bearcat:
    Zemp 4 Cycle Marine offers boat service in Redding CA and it’s surrounding areas. For professional boat motor service call 530-241-7990 today!

I saw this a while back. I inquired about a lower unit reseal kit and was quoted like $80 something. It takes 2 to 3 oil seals and 3 o-rings to seal these and I had in the past bought all the seals at the local bearing supply house for $30 at the most. The markup is a bit much IMHO. He is however having impellers made which is a good thing as I hear Globe is no longer making them.
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

For what it's worth, I bought my motor from Ed about 5 years ago. By this point Ed was in his early 90's already. He is a wonderful man, not sure he's still with us... he'd be right about 100 years old if he is. However nice, it was a hobby to him. There was no way he was making a profit on his parts or work. John Zemp is doing it as a business, for lively hood. His work is FAR more detailed. His finished stuff looks restored, not just refurbished. I was having some trouble with misfiring on my 55, and John and I literally did the troubleshooting while I was on the river and he walked me through things to try. I think John will make it, as he is doing more than just the Bearcats.

Comment

As long as some of the stuff is still around I feel good about continuing using the Bearcat motors.. Thanks for your support Dick and John !!!!
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post
          As long as some of the stuff is still around I feel good about continuing using the Bearcat motors.. Thanks for your support Dick and John !!!!
          I have only you to blame for this. Had my curiosity not been triggered in the '80's then you actually owning one I may have never bought my first one in '09. After 10 trouble free years with the '65 Homelite it's time for some mantainance, valve adjustment. For this season I will break out the "F" Bearcat from it's 10 yrs storage and put it back into service. Probably the best upgrade was the reg/rectifier suggested by Dave which worked great after changing out my stator from the 15a to the 20a. I think the one I bought was like $18 and I did order a couple spares, No more hi/lo BS. The old beasts are pushing dam close to 60 yrs and the engine design itself 80 yrs.
          Dick Johnson
          1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
          '57 Evinrude 18hp
          '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
          '72 Johnson 6hp
          '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
          '65 Homelite 55
          '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
          '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

For those who didn't keep up, Zemp was unable to survive the economic hit of COVID, and folded. The shop sold to a Powersports mechanic, who has no interest in the Homelite/Bearcats. He sent all the used parts, and rebuilt engines to scrap early 2022. He still has the remaining new parts inventory, but is unable/unwilling to actually tell me what's left, he wants to sell it all as a bundle. (Roberts sold his inventory to Zemp, so whatever he had is there too). I believe the new business is called Ultimate Marine and Powersports.

Comment

Incorrect, my parts did NOT go to Zemp
              I offered the parts to Zemp, he procrastinated then acknowledged his mistake prior to his liquidation.
              A guy drove out here from Indiana in 8/2020 and took all parts and literature back east.
              i do have some nos items that he was too overloaded to take. I think nearly 1.5 tons.

Comment

Originally posted by flathull View Post
                Incorrect, my parts did NOT go to Zemp
                I offered the parts to Zemp, he procrastinated then acknowledged his mistake prior to his liquidation.
                A guy drove out here from Indiana in 8/2020 and took all parts and literature back east.
                i do have some nos items that he was too overloaded to take. I think nearly 1.5 tons.
                I'm guessing you're Bill Roberts... your login name is different. what do you have left? I'm guessing you'd like it gone as a whole lot, and not part by part.

Dave Riker
                Wenatchee, WA

Comment

Working...
                X