X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhomeist
    started a topic Fate of Economy 4 Cycle Marine

Fate of Economy 4 Cycle Marine

Jumped on the web and noticed the Economy 4 Cycle Marine website was missing. Looks like Ed finally called it quits and his business was bought out, now Zemp 4 Cyle Marine in a nearby location. End of an era, but hopefully Zemp will continue the support and service of the Bearcat:
    Zemp 4 Cycle Marine offers boat service in Redding CA and it’s surrounding areas. For professional boat motor service call 530-241-7990 today!

• davriker
    replied
    Originally posted by flathull View Post
    Incorrect, my parts did NOT go to Zemp
    I offered the parts to Zemp, he procrastinated then acknowledged his mistake prior to his liquidation.
    A guy drove out here from Indiana in 8/2020 and took all parts and literature back east.
    i do have some nos items that he was too overloaded to take. I think nearly 1.5 tons.
    I'm guessing you're Bill Roberts... your login name is different. what do you have left? I'm guessing you'd like it gone as a whole lot, and not part by part.

Dave Riker
    Wenatchee, WA

Leave a comment:

• flathull
    replied
    Incorrect, my parts did NOT go to Zemp
    I offered the parts to Zemp, he procrastinated then acknowledged his mistake prior to his liquidation.
    A guy drove out here from Indiana in 8/2020 and took all parts and literature back east.
    i do have some nos items that he was too overloaded to take. I think nearly 1.5 tons.

Leave a comment:

• davriker
    replied
    For those who didn't keep up, Zemp was unable to survive the economic hit of COVID, and folded. The shop sold to a Powersports mechanic, who has no interest in the Homelite/Bearcats. He sent all the used parts, and rebuilt engines to scrap early 2022. He still has the remaining new parts inventory, but is unable/unwilling to actually tell me what's left, he wants to sell it all as a bundle. (Roberts sold his inventory to Zemp, so whatever he had is there too). I believe the new business is called Ultimate Marine and Powersports.

Leave a comment:

• Super Sportster
    replied
    Originally posted by Helmar View Post
    As long as some of the stuff is still around I feel good about continuing using the Bearcat motors.. Thanks for your support Dick and John !!!!
    I have only you to blame for this. Had my curiosity not been triggered in the '80's then you actually owning one I may have never bought my first one in '09. After 10 trouble free years with the '65 Homelite it's time for some mantainance, valve adjustment. For this season I will break out the "F" Bearcat from it's 10 yrs storage and put it back into service. Probably the best upgrade was the reg/rectifier suggested by Dave which worked great after changing out my stator from the 15a to the 20a. I think the one I bought was like $18 and I did order a couple spares, No more hi/lo BS. The old beasts are pushing dam close to 60 yrs and the engine design itself 80 yrs.

Leave a comment:

• Helmar
    replied
    As long as some of the stuff is still around I feel good about continuing using the Bearcat motors.. Thanks for your support Dick and John !!!!

Leave a comment:

• davriker
    replied
    For what it's worth, I bought my motor from Ed about 5 years ago. By this point Ed was in his early 90's already. He is a wonderful man, not sure he's still with us... he'd be right about 100 years old if he is. However nice, it was a hobby to him. There was no way he was making a profit on his parts or work. John Zemp is doing it as a business, for lively hood. His work is FAR more detailed. His finished stuff looks restored, not just refurbished. I was having some trouble with misfiring on my 55, and John and I literally did the troubleshooting while I was on the river and he walked me through things to try. I think John will make it, as he is doing more than just the Bearcats.

Leave a comment:

• Super Sportster
    replied
    I saw this a while back. I inquired about a lower unit reseal kit and was quoted like $80 something. It takes 2 to 3 oil seals and 3 o-rings to seal these and I had in the past bought all the seals at the local bearing supply house for $30 at the most. The markup is a bit much IMHO. He is however having impellers made which is a good thing as I hear Globe is no longer making them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X