Need Powerhead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Powerhead

My powerhead is toast. (I think it has burnt exhaust valve in #1... no compression and valves are adjusted correctly). Rebuilding is beyond my skill level, and Jon @ Zemp is backed up until end of boating season. Hoping to find an F series powerhead I can get for reasonable price.

Originally posted by davriker View Post
    My powerhead is toast. (I think it has burnt exhaust valve in #1... no compression and valves are adjusted correctly). Rebuilding is beyond my skill level, and Jon @ Zemp is backed up until end of boating season. Hoping to find an F series powerhead I can get for reasonable price.
    Dave. Here is your motor, in fact Two Bearcats on a 58 Wizard boat for $750.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...354392995.html
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I have a parts motor I got to run better than my real motor, still only on 3 cylinders, but those 3 had better compression than mine. Working on getting a 70 Bearcat out of Anchorage that looks super clean in the pictures. Hey, what's two more!

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post

Dave. Here is your motor, in fact Two Bearcats on a 58 Wizard boat for $750.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...354392995.html
        I just got back, they had 5 motors in total, but every single one of them seized tight as can be. I grabbed two that were stored in the barn for parts anyway. The boat floor was very soft. Getting something with dual 55's was tempting, but more of a project than I need/want at the moment. It's still there but the house is vacant and for sale, so they need it gone ASAP. If the boat doesn't sell, I've told them I'd come back for the other motors, controllers and a fuel tank, but not the boat and trailer.

Comment

Well,, it's 7 months later.... and the boat was back up on Facebook Market Place. I am now the proud owner of a 58 Wizard with dual Bearcats. Wife not really happy with me, but for $50 I basically couldn't pass it up. I don't know how I missed it, but in fact the Bearcats on the boat are not froze up. Will be doing cylinder lube, oil change, plugs, and see if they start. Boat and Trailer had titles, so we'll see where this rabbit hole takes me!

Comment

• Helmar
            Helmar commented
            Editing a comment
            Good score if nothing but bearcat parts. Most always, those are never ran dry on fuel so the carbs might need to be cleaned. You never know what fuel they used ether.
            You got the right idea, turn them over after lubing the cylinders and get a compression test to see what you have first.

You could probably keep the best one and just flip the boat for more than your money back.

Anyway, Great Score Dave.

I sold off the Wizard after removing the engines and controls. I'm now up to 9 of these beasts in my shop, none running lol....Life was busy this past two years, moving, getting married, remodeling a house, and relocating my 80 year old mom. I think that my time is going to open up and afford me space to try and make one or two running motors.
          Of the 5 engines that came with it, 3 are seized up and despite lots of soaking haven't loosened up a bit. I got one that was on the boat running, but it never seemed to give full power. It also would loose oil pressure after it warmed up. We tried to get through the summer with it, but not enough oil was getting to the valves and it ended up stranding us on the river when some of the valves stuck open. The other one has compression, but freeze plugs have popped out, so I haven't explored it at all. I did get the one from Alaska, it showed up seized as well, but I did get it free. It has a bad main seal on the output shaft side, so just in turning it over to pump up oil pressure and work the oil into the rings, it puked a ton of oil down the shaft and out onto the floor. I came across one down in Sweet Home, OR, and traded a 59 Elgin 40 hp for it. It turns over, but that's as far as I've gotten.
          Somewhere between those last three is going to be one that I'll finish, hopefully 2. After that, we're going to have a big used parts sale.....

Comment

Due to SuperSportster (Dick Johnson) passing away. I have all his Homelite and Bearcat parts to sell for his wife Judy.
            He has 4 power heads and two complete outboards, extra this, extra that, still in the process of doing inventory and will post here.
            Helmar
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
            X