Testing My Johnson Soon. Any Tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Start

That's an electric shift, so be sure to use the correct OMC lower unit oil, else the thing might slip and smoke out the lower end.

Make sure the throttle isn't too far advanced, else it won't crank.....

My two cents worth.
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

She Works!!!

Just put the boat in the water today...took a minute to fire up but the engine works and the boat floats. We took on a little water but I've been told thats normal for the first few runs.

Now i'm just messing with the tilt, idle, and propeller. The propeller thats on the boat is looking a little worn. And it seemed as I was pushing the throttle there was some cavitaion, at least thats what I hope it was and it wasn't gears slipping...the boat was still pushing forward it just felt like the propeller wasn't grabbing the water.

Any Suggestions on a propeller type for my particular engine and boat? I understand there are a lot of variables. I'd like a propeller with good pick up and good cruising speed...no need for higher top speed on this ol boat!

Also the Start lever right behind the throttle, what exactly does that control...Idle RPMs? When I had it pulled all the way back into the "start" position the engine wouldn't turn over.

Thanks everybody for all the tips for getting her started!

Andrew

Comment

Working...
      X