Slough Run: Last Preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 9648
    Hey Mr Slo Mo , Come on down to the water ! I was even thinking ( just thinking ) about bring the G-3 instead. The weathermen say it's will be just a few showers , which is better than in some other years....like fog in 05 ? that was a fun time. Chuck
    I remember the fog... My father and I had spent 3 days without sleep while I was still going to college classes in the mornings trying to get my first boat (1966 Powercat 15T) with his old Mark 55 outboard running. Slough run was the first time the package ever hit water and the motor hadn't been run in nearly 10 years.. We made it half way accross Lake Sammamish before realizing our free GPS unit wasn't working and we had been running in a big circle for 20 minutes and then the timing belt snapped...

Oh those where the days...
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Those were some hearty souls navigating that pea soup! I'm with you B'flat on the three days without sleep thing, Oh, those where the days... Good luck dialing-in a go kart motor in this weather, Franchini- your jet assortment will be getting a work out.

Chuck, if you are bringin' the g3 I'll be there! I was hoping to get some video footage together.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Greg, I know you've been looking forward to this one!

If you want to ride along with someone I'm sure there'll be lots of room. You're welcome to ride the Lake Washington leg with me.

Tim

Comment

4-stroke bloke

Thanks for the offer, sounds great Tim, it would be awesome to ride in a Homelite/Bearcat powered rig (and a Beautiful one at that).

Our '55 Bell Boy Express 16 that is next under the knife, has Steve Kiesel's orphaned Homey hanging on it right now. I tend to go big or go home(lite), gathering 3 runners and 2 parts donors before ever using one...I love them running in the tank, hope I like it on the run.

Warning: You should know that I was the one that bought Tim Mattson lunch at the New Years day run as a bribe to hitch a ride. As I was signing the receipt, the waiter ran in saying that one of our boats had floundered-guess who's...I'm not cursed or am I?? hmmmm

Where is Mr. Mattson anyway, wasn't he doing the slough in his g3??
          Attached Files

Comment

Well, you're welcome to ride with me, but you're not buying me lunch!

I'm still dialing the Homelite in, finished installing the Pertronix ignition system about 9:30 last night (Igniter ignition and Flamethrower coil) and will be stopping by NAPA today for new cap and rotor. She has a brand spankin' new prop too, was revving too high so I stepped up a couple of numbers.

I'll be dropping her into the water at Lake Goodwin this afternoon to do a quick check before Saturday, I'm anxious to see how she runs.

Tim

Comment

[quote="Tim McCrain, post: 9665"]Well, you're welcome to ride with me, but you're not buying me lunch!

I'm still dialing the Homelite in, finished installing the Pertronix ignition system about 9:30 last night (Igniter ignition and Flamethrower coil) and will be stopping by NAPA today for new cap and rotor. She has a brand spankin' new prop too, was revving too high so I stepped up a couple of numbers.

Tim, Me to , I need to installed the Febiailflector before we go out. Chuck
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

slough run

We will be in the Tabu, I have lots of room if any one want a ride in a nice warm dry boat. We will be departing Newport Yatch basin in Bellevue.
                I do not check the board all that often so it is best to phone, My cell is 206-920-0844
                Tabu is a 1940 Chris-craft 42ft DCEB with a flying bridge added. Last time out I was having fuel filter problems. I should have this worked out tonight.
                There is LOTS of room, every one is welcome! If any passengers who come down the slough want to come aboard at the half way point to get warm, dry, or use the head that is fine with me.
                Jay

Comment

I remember that foggy day also. I watched from the shore at Sammamish state park as everyone left, and then drove home.

Sometime after that I glanced out the front room window and saw a boat full of slough runners from Portland slowly cruising from dock to dock feeling their way along as it were.

They were on the west side of the lake headed south!

I can't remember if they gave up or the fog finally lifted so they could re-orient themselves and find the slough at the north end of the lake.

Looks like this year I will get to enjoy breakfast at the IHOP and then go car shopping as the Princess needs a new/used car.
                  Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                  Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

G3 poised.....

Been kinda dodging some hurdles at home but have the G3 pretty much ready to fuel,tow and splash.
                    Another first timer to boot,should be interesting.
                    A buddy called last night to hitch a ride.....almost didn`t do it but he`s buying the fuel for the day......
                    Still owe you a ride Greg,let`s try for another day.
                    I`ll take the credit for the "curse",it was pretty much all my own doing.
                    Should be out at Sammamish early, trailer permitting......just hoping to survive this one.
                    TimM
                    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                    SeaRay 175BR
                    Hi-Laker lapline
                    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Good luck Tim. Remember to keep the rubber on the road. Oh, no, that's for cars and motorcycles!
                      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

[quote="chuckcarey, post: 9667"]
                        Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 9665
                        Well, you're welcome to ride with me, but you're not buying me lunch!

Tim, Me to , I need to installed the Febiailflector before we go out. Chuck
                        The WHHAAAT?

Comment

Weather for Saturday

So, here's the latest weather forecast for the Greater Seattle area on Saturday...

There should only be scattered showers tomorrow, with some sprinkles forecast at about 10 a.m., and again around noon...but the rest of the day is supposed to be merely cloudy, with possible afternoon sunbreaks.

The high winds we've experienced in recent days should settle down overnight. Tomorrow we should face southwesterly winds in the 8 mph range between 9 and 11 a.m., rising to 9-10 mph between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., then settling to 7-8 mph after about 3 p.m.

This is NOT to predict that Lake Washington will be exactly "calm" tomorrow. There shouldn't be giant whitecaps like there were yesterday and today, but it could still be a bit rough for those heading southbound from the Kenmore area...so be forewarned.

Personally, I'll be coming across on the Kingston-Edmonds ferry in the morning, and then crossing the 520 Bridge on the way to the launching ramp. If the wind is kicking up on Puget Sound and/or Lake Washington, I will probably launch at Lake Sammamish State Park and cruise that lake with the Slough Runners...getting photos of them as they head for the Slough and drift through the "willow run," rather than face the prospect of a long and wet ride on Lake Washington. (The little 1956 Reinell is a very wet boat when heading into a chop--and just awful when you try to buck whitecaps, so Lake Sammamish would be a far calmer option if the wind's blowing...or starting to kick up when we launch at about 10 a.m.)

Other members who are planning to run smaller boats might want to double-check Lake Washington conditions before launching at Coulon Park. Heading north on the big lake will be easy (with the wind), but coming back southbound could be challenging for the smaller boats...so if Lake Washington is breezy in the morning, please know that it'll be MORE breezy when you return from Kenmore...and consider the Plan B option of cruising Lake Sammamish instead.

Rain is nothing, at least for most of us who've grown up in the Northwest. But wind...well, that's a different matter.

Looking forward to seeing folks tomorrow, no matter what the weather!

- Marty
                          Attached Files
                          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Thanks for the info Marty.

Well, only a couple of people sent me their info so I'm not going to compile a list of people and numbers. Greg Lamb and I will be in my 17' red / white Sabrecraft, my cell number is 425 six nine one zero one eight four. I ran out of time to get the VHF installed.

Hope it's fairly calm!

Tim

Comment

Race ready and no pilot...

so after a long week of fiberglass and sealant, the little hydro is race ready but the intended pilot has vanished... So my other friend and I will be in the 1965 Performer Havoc at Sammamish ready togo.. I have a working GPS and a handheld VHF radio...

Depending on how the morning goes we may be able to get to Ihop for some breakfast...

See ya'll in the morning!!!
                              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

See ya all Saturday morn. at Kenmore, 18' Glen L. Sea Knight, Blue hull. Andy E.

Comment

Working...
                                X