Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnsons

Seaflash,
    We used one of those Chaparral powerplants in a project creation we made from a SkiWee ,supposed to be a waterskier controlled vessel with heavy remote controls the skier actually drove.
    We put Handle bars/Twist throttle on the thing and made up what was soon to be known as a Jetski!
    This was back in the late 70`smind you,the 70 hp Chaparral was even a 2 stroke with dual carbs.
    The deep vee hull wasn`t fit for a rider and it was too top heavy and nearly killed the driver.
    Just a little before it`s time!
    My Johnson pile has gotten too big to total.Might have 10 or so...but I`ll list them later....
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Got a 89 30hp. (backup for my Homelite) and a 70 33hp. Had a 69 20hp sold it this summer.

Comment

40 Horse '86 VRO on my 61 Marathon. She runs like a clock. A bit under powered for the boat though.
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Clean Old 18hp Johnson

After changing the impeller--the only thing it needed--I hung this clean '57 Johnson 18 hp on the 1956 Reinell 15' Kingfisher runabout. (18hp is what the Reinell came with, although this one is a lot cleaner than the original. I'll give it a try and see how underpowered the Reinell is, but I'm guessing I'll switch to a 1956 Merc Mark 30--also a super-clean old outboard.)

Anyhow, the boat has a Johnson for now...

- Marty
          Attached Files
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Rienell

Wow Marty! That looks like an add for a new one. Very classy and as simple as can be. I like it. - Ross
            Ross Henson

Comment

Hi Boones,

How is your motor? We have the exact same year / model, etc. And the same problems with idling....

Early last summer a friend of ours from North Carolina who loves vintage motors tinkered around with our motor, worked out all the quirks and it ran beautifully all summer (WOW - WHEN it works, it is AWESOME). In September we began having problems again with starting, idling etc. A month ago we found out Norm isn't taking the bigger ones anymore so we took it to a mechanic in Oak Harbor who checked it out, tuned it up and said all was well.

That lasted about three weeks and we started having gear slipping problems, more starting problems, and now a stuck thermostat and blown head gasket. I can't say it has been an easy road. We are still looking for someone like Norm who really knows this motor and can hopefully get us back on track - did you have any luck?

Lauryn

Comment

my Johny 40

hasn't run in 8 years but im confident with a little cleaning she'll fire right up. Any pre starting suggestions?

Comment

I'd suggest replacing the impeller but what I actually do is fire up and old motor and see if it pumps water. If it does, why do anything more?
                  There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 10937
                    I'd suggest replacing the impeller but what I actually do is fire up and old motor and see if it pumps water. If it does, why do anything more?
                    Sometimes they will pump fine at first, but the impeller vanes are too weak to do a good job once you're actually under a load and things are good and hot. Ask me how I know that ... go ahead, ask me ... :Scared2:

Comment

Is that why I buy Vessel Assist? You've been there? Done that?
                      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
                      X