Slough Run: Last Preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slough Run: Last Preview

...A final reminder that the Slough Run and accompanying Lake Washington Cruise will take place next Saturday, March 13, with Slough Runners launching by 10 a.m. at Lake Sammamish State Park's ramp, and Lake Washington cruisers launching at the same hour at Coulon Park, on Lake Washington in Renton.

Slough Runners will run the length of Lake Sammamish, then 11 miles down the Sammamish River to Kenmore (where they'll meet up with the Lake Washington fleet), and the whole bunch will then cruise south on Lake Washington back to Coulon Park. (Slough Run skippers will then be shuttled over to Lake Sammamish to pick up their tow rigs, so they can pull their boats out back at Coulon.)

Greg James made an excellent point about the route for this event: We really need to all follow the same course, so that any members who need help or break down can find assistance easily. Coming and going from Coulon, let's monitor VHF Channel 69 and follow the eastern shore of Lake Washington in both directions: up the East Channel on the inside of Mercer Island, under the East Channel Bridge and the east end of the Highway 520 bridge, then past Kirkland and Juanita up to Kenmore...and the same eastside course on the return to Coulon.

If Slough Runners want to meet for breakfast before Doing the Slough, the traditional time and place is 8 to 8:30 a.m. at the Issaquah IHOP, off Exit #15 as you approach Issaquah on I-90.

Scheduled to participate in the Lake Washington portion of the event are Jay and Tara Giese aboard their big Chris-Craft (guests welcome; contact them via the message board if you'd like to ride aboard Tabu); Chuck Carey, Marty Loken, Jerry and Becky McRorie, Lowell Lorenz, Tim McCrain, Jack Dando, Dennis Huffman, Greg James and Steve Kiesel.

Scheduled to take part in the Slough Run are Tom Horn of Portland, Gordon and Cheryl Davies, Greg Lamb, Tim Mattson and Brian Franchini. (Haven't heard recent updates from Tim and Brian--are you guys going to make it?)

That makes 13 boats, total, plus at least a few boatless guests who will be riding with others.

Who am I missing? Anybody else planning to take part in this always-fun event?

Let's have another round of cell-phone-number exchanges, just to be sure everyone can stay in touch. Mine is (360) 301-6737.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Chuck C. I want my money back!!! Just saw a pic of Rosario in a slough run picture! If that wasn't boat abuse, I don't know what is!!
    (Where did all those smiley face symbols go?) Anyway, best I can do
    Turn your monitor on its side to view my symbol.
    Jerry
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Jerry...

...and that photo only begins to tell the story--you should have seen all the trees, kayakers and wildlife Chuck hit before getting to the end of the Slough Run in Kenmore. (The photo was taken just before he rammed the police boat that was trying to issue the Reckless Endangerment citation.)

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

My cell number is 425-495-6400. I will also have my portable VHF on 69. See you all on Saturday.
        Steve Kiesel
        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Jerry, I just saw that photo before i saw your message. OMG i thought to myself, there is my baby " Boo Hoo " ...!!!!!!!!! Still have not gotton over the seller remorse part yet. But the G-3 is starting to grow on me as far as the way she handles on even rough waters as she just goes right over those waves while hardly slowing down. Jerry on that day , Tim Matson was with me. When we got to Kenmore Tim said , lets go a shore and see the guys. I told him i would let him go out onto the bow ( on his knees ) and drop him off as i don't want a bunch of sand on the deck and scratch the bottom. You know what ? he gave me a weird look. Still can't figure that one out. LOL ! Oh yes, the Police boat is another story that i was hoping Marty would not bring up. Chuck

P.S. Here's your Season's Greetings card from last December that i forgot to e-mail you and Becky....sorry it's late.
          Attached Files
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Thanks Chuck for the pretty card and thanks for the good care you took with Rosario. I have ordered a Keelguard to put on it for those hopefully few times we might beach it to explore some islands. Also, listened to Tim Jones and bought a 25 watt dash mount VHF and an 8 foot, 6 db antenna for it. Now if I can just figure out how to put the end on the antenna!

Comment

Jerry, Keel guard not a bad idea at all. At least the antenna mounting bracket is on the boat. Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 9542
                Jerry, Keel guard not a bad idea at all. At least the antenna mounting bracket is on the boat. Chuck
                and there's probably a sock for it ... custom embroidered ...

Comment

An 8 foot sock! How cool would that be? Breaker, breaker good buddy or is that CB lingo? Tim, got that 7.5 Elgin up and running yet? Did I mention you'll probably need a wrench to remove the fuel filler cap? When I lined the gas tank with that KRB stuff, I got some sticking on the threads.

Comment

but I digress...

Jerry you are a thread-jacker extraordinaire!

Looking forward to making some waves with y'all

Anybody have a good deal on a hand-held VHF?? so we can order lunch from Jay/Tabu before we arrive in Kenmore.

Comment

No, no, no....

....Chuck would absolutely have a sock for the antenna mount, but he might also have one for the keel guard (!)

- Marty

Comment

Drum roll please...

So the Flaherty gang is up for the challange after all.. I had to beat my boss with a boat paddle but he has agreed not to send me to California this week so I will have the Havoc on the water again...

We also just pickup a little project for the week, got the 8ft bull-nose hydro from my brother along with the a 10hp outboard from my father, so hopefully we can get some dry rot patched and a fresh layer of fiberglass on the bottom this week and we should have the return of a once great slough runner. This little boat has made more slough runs than some of our senior members, with as many different drivers. Actually no single pilot has ever chosen to run her more than once (I wonder why???)

Now the little boat will almost certainly be pulling out at Kenmore and the pilot will probably jump into the havoc with the rest of us for the run down lake washington, that is if ya'll don't leave us in your wakes on lake Sammamish (little hydro only does about 20mph, for the entire trip...)

See you all on Saturday!!!

Oh yeah, tele is (4-two-5) 2-one-8 triple 9-seven
                        Have to agree with Slo-mo, had some weird phone calls awhile back...
                        Attached Files
                        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Jerry, You did get a black 8 ' VHF antenna ? Right ? That way it is color keyed to the tinted windows,Runrail and the trim on the hatch. Right ? Like i did on the Farallon. Huh ? It only cost about $25.00 extra for black. Chuck

Comment

Highlight film!

Awesome Brian, wouldn't be the same without your infamous crew. We'll buy the flyer pilot lunch and carbon fiber knee replacements, if he can get through the gauntlet....per Chuck, don't forget the sponsor monogrammed sock for his brass balls...is that a forum offense?

Comment

All,

As posting phone numbers on the forum isn't always the best idea, if everyone attending the slough run will email me their info I will put together a pdf of names and numbers and email it back to you before Saturday. Then we can all print it out and make any notations / changes Sat morning.

At our meeting we discussed the need, for safety reasons, to get together for a few minutes before heading out to confirm who's there, what the route is, etc.

This isn't really a complicated excursion, but we've all talked about the need to have a procedure for keeping track of each other when we're out, and this is a good opportunity to begin developing one.

So, if everyone will print out the list and bring it with them Sat morning at 10 AM to their launch point at either Sammamish or Coulon Park we can mark off anyone who didn't make it, update the number of people on your boat, add any one who isn't on the list, etc. I'll bring a few extra copies with me to Coulon, if someone who is doing the slough would do the same that would be great.

Please send me an email or PM here on the board with the following:

1) Name

2) Number of people you plan to have on board

3)Cell number

4) Have VHF?

5) Boat name and description

6) Float plan: Do you plan to do the slough? Lake? both? partial? launching early or late? launching somewhere else and joining enroute?

thanks

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X