No announcement yet.

Falls Flyer Restoration Started

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good Rick, you're moving right along.

Comment

Ready to Foam !

Ready to pour the bow full of foam. Drilled holes to pour the foam in and have some small holes along the perimeter . Got my plywood template screwed to the frame to hold the foam back. When the foam cures I'll screw the Mahogany piece on for a better look . Dry fitting the seat supports and drains making sure they are ready to go. Re-paired the broken seat so now both sides are back together. Now that the front area is pretty much done I'll start messing with the stern and Transom area. Going to frame in a Fuel tank area and a battery area back there, and some new glass on the deck and Transom. Got some original parts coming ,can't wait till they get here , I'll post some pictures when they arrive ! Stay Tuned !!!
      Attached Files
      Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Foamy Flyer

Rick -

Great job--nice to see the steady progress. Like others, we can't wait to see it on the water. (Opening Day Parade, maybe...? It would be a big hit at that event!)

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Not sure Yet ?

I'm going to try but not sure if I can make it that fast . Most of the work so far has been my grunt labor, with the parts I just acquired and the Paint, motor , side panels ,upholstery it starts getting pricey from here on out . If I can get the time off I will have 3 other options. I'm probably going to thin the herd this spring so I can get the flyer on the water ????
          Rick & Sarah

Comment

Hey Rick, That is going to be one super impressive classic ! Rebuilt better than when it was first built by far. Best,Chuck
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Fiberglass the stern section

Here's some simple glass going down in the rear. Re-inforced around all the edges then put down solid mat on the deck to seal everything off . I had one support that was rotted out that needed to be re-placed under the Splash Well that held the back seat support. Cut that out and glassed that back in. It's no fun glassing overhead ! Start building platforms for the gas tank and batteries next. Soon as I get the bow Foamed in I'll get to start the fun part and be able to build instead of rip things out. My new parts should be here mid week ! I'm excited as a kid at Xmas !!
              Attached Files
              Rick & Sarah

Comment

Hey Rick,
                Think we'd make a great team. I'm good at ripping things apart but have no joy in trying to put thimgs together! Looks like the Falls Flyer is coming right along.
                Jerry
                There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

She be Foamed !

Got the Bow foamed so I can start the re-build. Heated up the bow and lowered the trailer down to the ground and started to pour the foam. Drilled 1" holes along the perimeter and then a series of 2 1/2" holes around the sides and down the middle. Took two 16 oz. plastic containers and poured about 12 oz. of part A and B into each cup. Then I had a 32 oz, cup I combined the two parts in and stirred till mixed. Started at the Bow with two batches then did the holes near the cockpit with a couple batches After about 4 - 5 Minutes I poured a couple down the middle . Kind of kept an eye on the holes with a flashlight and topped off a couple areas that weren't rising as fast as the others. I also wedged a stick in from the top of the void to the support under the deck to get the foam to ooze out instead of raising up the top of the void and creating a bump. Worked good got foam out of all the holes and not alot of waste. It took about 3/4 of a gallon of each part. Now comes the re-build. I'll start another thread when I get to the next stage . Parts should be here any day now !!!
                  Attached Files
                  Rick & Sarah

Comment

Got my parts today

Received the "Glo Tube " stern lights today and the Original glove box, Original Larson decals and reproduction Falls Flyer Decals and Dashboard speedometer plate with Eyebrow.

Glo tubes are pretty neat they have a light at the base and the tubes are hollow Acrylic so they look like light sabers going across the water. Can't wait to do some night cruising
                    Attached Files
                    Rick & Sarah

Comment

Luke- I am your Father

Why does it look like more work when others are doing the job? Way to stay on task Rick, the goodies are a great motivator that the end is in sight...

The glo-tubes will be a neat retro-futuristic touch, looking forward to more!

Comment

Wow, this thing is going to be awesome!

Comment

Nice boat ,

Originally posted by Bigfoot, post: 10021
                          I thought of you when I ran accross these pics, Mike
                          I have seen a web site with a boat like that with the red stripes I have attached the link.
                          http://www.sunsetclassics.com/1959-c...t/boatgallery/

Where is this boat and is it for sale.
                          John Monahan in "Little Falls Minnesota" has many falls flyers for sale, you can spend anywhere from $1000 to $100,000 He owns the" Boat works "in Little Falls and he does all the restoration for the Mikelson Museum in Little Falls. If you Google "Falls Flyer" you can view the museum , they don't have alot of pictures but you can see his showroom.

Thanks for the shots that is the same dash as mine except the steering is on the Port side on mine. I was going to change it but John talked me out of it because it's unique on the port. So I'm going to leave it there.
                          Rick & Sarah

Comment

Dry fitting hardware,

Dry fitting the hardware so I don't have to drill holes in the new paint, can't wait to see the stern lights at night. Have most of the pieces already just need a couple things chromed . I'm also adding some support on the gunnel's which will give me a bit more meat to attach the side panels to when it's time for upholstery. Doing alot of body work with spider cracks and crazing of the gel coat. Getting all of those ground out ,filled and re-filled, Lots of sanding. Almost ready to flip it over and work on the bottom.
                            Attached Files
                            Rick & Sarah

Comment

Man, you're flyin' on the flyer! You're making good progress, when do you think you'll get it wet?

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X