• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookin' good!

:cool1:

Comment

Looking good Rick!

This is great motivation for those of us who have been draggin our feet.
      Mark
      Silverdale, WA.
      1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Looken real good.
        Good thinking with the storage options too.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Way to stay on task Rick, looking forward to checking out your sweet ride. Have you decided on a powerplant yet?

Comment

Possibly a Frankenmerc

Looking at a vintage 45 to 50 H.P. Merc , Talking to the Doctor now.
            Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

I have been working on the boat !

Spent a bunch of my free time out on the water but I have spent a few hours moving forward on the Flyer. Got the seats all framed and glassed in and everything primed and ready for the final layer of glass on the bottom. This boat is more solid than a hot tub. I have about 3 Gal. of resin in the bottom and working on the forth. Got some Red Fiberglass that I'm going to use on the final layer should look pretty good , color scheme is going to be Red & White and maybe a tinge of blue somewhere to make it an all american boat. When I get the final layer of glass on the floor I'm going to turn it over and let it get a good cure than start on the bottom . It's a little SLO going so it won't be till next spring till the flyer is on the water. I will have the hard work done this fall then it's just putting it back together in the winter. I have all the hardware re-chromed and the Mahogany trim pieces are all cut and ready to fit.
              Attached Files
              Rick & Sarah

Comment

Very impressive. Never knew you could buy colored fiberglass!
                There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Impressive work!

Hi, I am new to this forum. I found it by searching for a 1958-59 Falls Flyer.

I have a Falls Flyer I found in Sunrise Beach, Texas about 8 years ago. I have

not done anything to it. I have been thinking about restoring it and found this

thread. I do not know what year it is. It was built in Ontario, Ca. and has a

tag with #851. It is black and white and has the tail castings and port

steering. Where did you get the new parts for your boat?

I can really appreciate all the work you have done on your boat.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looking great Rick. Question...how long does it take for a "Good Cure"?

Ron
                    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan Outboard converted from an Inboard
                    1962 Dorsett San Juan Inboard converted from an Outboard Now conveting back to an Outboard.......We'll get it right someday

Comment

I think its cured

I think its cured by now . Been working on selling a Skagit and my Row Boat and getting the dorsett ship shape. Kinda neglected the flyer. Just about to get back at it after the Holidays. Going to pull the trailer out from under it and turn the boat over on Styrofoam blocks and work on the bottom. Should have it ready to paint by February.
                      By cure I mean when I put a few layers on I like to let it set for a few days and just leave it alone. :Cold1:
                      Rick & Sarah

Comment

Rick,

Yeah, it should be cured by now! I've been wondering how the Flyer was coming along, look forward to seeing the latest.

Thanks for keeping us posted, everyone appreciates you taking the time to post the updates and progress shots, even if we're not always great about posting and letting you know that.

Tim

Comment

Non-destructive testing?

The translucent red fiberglass floor is a cool touch Rick. With my limited docking experience-I would like to volunteer my structural integrity testing services if Mrs. B'ham would like some empirical evidence before boarding.:Bigdriving1:

Stay warm

Comment

Flipped Flyer

Well now that the Dorsett is at the finish line I can get back to work on the flyer. I had 97% of the inside finished and 95% of the Fiberglass work done and paint prep. All the hardware has been dry fit and the seats are built and woodwork pretty much complete. So now it's time to lift it up and remove the Tee Nee Trailer from underneath and flip her over and start on the bottom. I figure I'll just patch and reinforce what I have to and roll and tip the bottom. I'm taking the trailer apart and replace all the rollers and make new bunks. Sandblast the trailer and put that back together. Bought all the parts I need from Del VanEmerick aka. Herters 59 . Got the new tails light for the fenders Etc . He had restored the exact trailer I have and sent some good photos and gave some great advice. Hope mine comes out 1/2 as good as his did When the trailer is back together and the bottom is done I'll flip it back over on the freshly restored trailer and then do the final prep on the top and give it a coat of High build primer sand and final paint. I have all the parts and pieces I need for the boat and trailer so most of the $$$$$ pain is gone. Not sure what to power it with yet but working on that as we type????? My goal is to have it either at Mason Lake or Mayfield :HandHorn1:
                            P.S. I think I gave the resin plenty of time to cure !
                            Attached Files
                            Rick & Sarah

Comment

Nice!

I've been wondering what was happening with the Flyer, it'll be awesome to see it on the water. What are you thinking for power?

Tim

Comment

Still up in the air ?

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 17303
                                I've been wondering what was happening with the Flyer, it'll be awesome to see it on the water. What are you thinking for power?

Tim
                                Still working on that - Only have 12" on the transom so it will have to be Slim !
                                Attached Files
                                Rick & Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                X