Falls Flyer Restoration Started

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Glass on the bottom

Got the first coats of glass on the front of the keel today while the sun was still out. Found a few surprises while I was sanding but nothing disappointing. Found one good "Marine Tex " mine . Looks like somebody filled a good crack or something awhile back. Got most of that removed . Thats toward the stern so I'll do more with that later. Got a couple rotten areas below the rub rail that I'm going to have to cut out and splice in a new piece :Shocked: This working for a living really slows the boat restoration down !! When I cut and splice I'll post some shots during the process. Never had to do this so it should be interesting?
    Attached Files
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Cut $ Paste

Cut out some of the rot along side the rub rail. On the flyer there is a strip of wood where the bottom of the boat and the top are attached. This is where the Aluminium rub rail screws to. I have about 3 places where the seal was broken and water got in and the wood is shot. I used my Dremel multi tool to cut the fiberglass out along side the hull and removed the old fiberglass and took a chisel and removed all the old wood. The Trough is slightly angled so I cut some replacement pieces and sanded the edges so it wedged into the groove. Scribed the board and free hand cut it on my table saw. Then I put some fiberglass mat in the groove and wet it down real good then wedged the wood in after it kicked I filled it with Resin filler then more glass over that. I think it will work and be better than new. Got two sections done and one more to go.
      Attached Files
      Rick & Sarah

Comment

Really impressed

Rick,
        I am very impressed that you are achieving great progress in a simple roof only shelter, with gravel floor, no less. Maybe the garage houses your Porsche and several other recreational assets (?).

Your boat project really is a classic, and a project. It makes my basic white cupcake "not so classic" boat restoration seem like just an oil change. Really impressed with your problem solving and decision making. Thanks for taking time to document - looking forward to seeing it in person -- soon... at the pace you are going.

Doing Ski to Sea next weekend? I'm riding the mountain bike leg.

Brian Vickers
        Brian Vickers
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Ski to Sea

Originally posted by BrianVic, post: 17402
          Rick,
          I am very impressed that you are achieving great progress in a simple roof only shelter, with gravel floor, no less. Maybe the garage houses your Porsche and several other recreational assets (?).

Your boat project really is a classic, and a project. It makes my basic white cupcake "not so classic" boat restoration seem like just an oil change. Really impressed with your problem solving and decision making. Thanks for taking time to document - looking forward to seeing it in person -- soon... at the pace you are going.

Doing Ski to Sea next weekend? I'm riding the mountain bike leg.

Brian Vickers
          Depending on the weather we may be out in Bellingham Bay in the Dorsett ! Look for the Green Machine - Probably be around Boulevard Park ?
          Thanks for the comments - I like to show the progress as it happens and maybe help somebody out there. Look back at my beginning post where I did the replacement stringers and had to cover the boat with a couple blankets and a portable heater to get the glass to kick - sometimes I feel like Mcgiver working with what I have . No garage for boats since I sold the row boat and no Porsche.
          Rick & Sarah

Comment

green Dorsett

I will indeed keep an eye out on the bay for the green machine. My wife is paddling the kayak for the last leg, so I'll be stationed on the shore armed with binoculars.

Brian Vickers
            Brian Vickers
            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Now this is one lucky boat.

Comment

Remove old paint

Trying to get all the old paint off the bottom. Last guy painted it with a Badger Brush ,but I think the Badger was still alive ? :shocked3: Lots of sanding and filling. Got about 1/2 Gal of resin and a quart of resin filler on her so far and I'm not sure about how many feet of glass. All the rotten wood along the side has been replaced. Got the keel at the bow all smoothed out and getting everything down to good gel coat then I'll put a layer of mat down the center for the final touch. Slow going but looking better.
                Attached Files
                Rick & Sarah

Comment

First coat of primer

Got the bottom all repaired and glassed all the seams and removed all the rotten wood along the side. Removed as much of the old paint as I had to and got the first coat of primer on the bottom . Now its easy to see any imperfections and I can continue to fill and sand till smooth. Went on a road trip today with Melanie and picked up the new Tee Nee trailer from Marty. It's in alot better shape than the one I had so now I can use the best parts off of each one and make a real nice one for rolling down the highway. Hope to have the bottom painted and on the new trailer for Laconnor ??? We also made a stop to see Thom (Frankenmerc) Adams. He loaned me a motor bracket from a 1959 Merc 58A to see if I have room to mount it on the transom. Where else can you get service like this -- Thanks Thom. Boat is upside down now so I will have to remove the blocks and see if it fits. That will be the motor of choice if I have the room. There is only 12" between the fins ? Happy to say Thom is moving slow but sure. Hope to see you at Mason Lake this year. :cool1:
                  Attached Files
                  Rick & Sarah

Comment

Nice going Rick, it is really coming along well. And you don't need to pay for a gym membership with a job like this to do.

Comment

Trailer to Sandblaster

Got Marty's trailer stripped and ready for the Sandblaster on Sunday. Went through 2 cans of P.B. Blaster and a lot of heat , talk about rusted bolts ! Want to get it primed before I get the bottom of the flyer with its final coat of primer . When I get the bottom painted I would like to flip it over and on the trailer so I can adjust the bunks and rollers then remove the boat again and put the final coat of paint on the bottom and paint the trailer Yellow, then back on the trailer and start top side paint before it gets cold. During the winter I can do the final assembly and be ready early spring to get it in the water. That's the plan and I hope to stick with it. :GoTeam1::Underconstruction1:
                      Attached Files
                      Rick & Sarah

Comment

Finished bottom - almost

Got the first coat of paint on the bottom over the two coats of primer. Been reading a thread on "Rustolium paint" over on Fiberglassics ,so I figured the bottom would be a good place to give it a try. I used the Rustolium on the trailer with great results. Comments on the thread said to use a hardener and thin with Acetone so I found the hardener on Amazon .com and Melanie and I followed the formula that was suggested. 1 Qt. paint Thin with 8 oz. Acetone and 4 Oz. of hardener. Mix and marinate for 30 minutes before you spray. Looks real good so far . I will see how it drys . We were getting a little water in the line so we just got the one coat ( 1 Qt) so far. I'll let it dry a couple days and wet sand the whole bottom then re coat with a water filter on the compressor next time. Did not get alot of water just enough to not want to keep going today. If it works good you can't beat the $12.00 a Qt. for the paint and $12.00 for 8 Oz. of hardener.
                        Attached Files
                        Rick & Sarah

Comment

Poor mans heated paint booth

Got the final coat of paint on the bottom just in time for winter, Had to crank up the patio heater to take the edge off and help the paint kick before the bugs attacked it. Got about 3 1/2 Qts of paint on her and wet sanded between coats. Now I'll let it cure for awhile and have a boat rolling party and put her on the trailer for the final resting place before it hits the water this spring. Feels good to have the all the hard work completed. Now I have to catch up on the honey dew list and get the house winterized ! :surprised1:
                          Attached Files
                          Rick & Sarah

Comment

I think I see a dry spot.
                            1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Good time to mention !

Originally posted by Nomad55, post: 19617
                              I think I see a dry spot.
                              I guess now its a good time to mention that Melanie was kind enough to lend her expertise and do the spraying of the paint. I was the grunt and she was the "Pro from Dover " Thanks for all your help - That dry spot must have flowed out :GoTeam1:
                              Rick & Sarah

Comment

Rick, let me know when you're ready to turn her over.

Comment

Working...
                                X